A Functional Medicine Approach To Neuroinflammation
The emphasis on naming diseases is pervasive throughout medicine, and it is a primary obstacle to changing the way we do things and finding answers to our health problems. For instance, two brain disorders with two completely different names might have a lot more in common than you may otherwise think. The brain has an incredible connection to the immune system, called the glymphatic system, which helps it detoxify, receive valuable nutrients, and more. When the glymphatic system is threatened, neuroinflammation is created.
In this House Call episode, Dr. Hyman speaks with Dr. Todd LePine about inflammation in the brain. They discuss the many factors that can drive neuroinflammation, the range of conditions that are linked to brain inflammation, and how they work with patients to cool this inflammation.
Dr. LePine graduated from Dartmouth Medical School and is Board Certified in Internal Medicine, specializing in Integrative Functional Medicine. He is an Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner. Prior to joining The UltraWellness Center, he worked as a physician at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, MA, for 10 years. Dr. LePine’s focus at The UltraWellness Center is to help his patients achieve optimal health and vitality by restoring the natural balance to both the mind and the body. His areas of interest include optimal aging, bio-detoxification, functional gastrointestinal health, systemic inflammation, autoimmune disorders, and the neurobiology of mood and cognitive disorders. Dr. LePine teaches around the world, and has given lectures to doctors and patients at American College for Advancement in Medicine (ACAM), Age Management Medicine Group (AMMG), the University of Miami Integrative Medicine Conference, The Kripalu Center in Lenox, MA, and is on the faculty for American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M). Dr. LePine is the head of the Scientific Advisory Board for Designs for Health and a consultant for Diagnostic Solutions Laboratory. He enjoys skiing, kayaking, hiking, camping, and golfing in the beautiful Berkshires, and is a fitness enthusiast.
In this episode, Dr. Hyman and Dr. LePine discuss:
- Glial cells, microglial cells, and dark matter of the brain
- How conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease, ALS, multiple sclerosis, schizophrenia, depression, strep infection, PANDAS, and more are related to neuroinflammation
- Drivers of inflammation in the body and brain, including stealth infections
- Parkinson’s disease and gut health
- Patient cases that Dr. Hyman and Dr. LePine have treated
- The genetics of schizophrenia
- The microbiome of the brain
- The oral-systemic health connection
- The Functional Medicine approach to repairing the brain
- Why diet and sleep are key to brain health
We hope you enjoy this conversation!