Gut-Healing Coconut Yogurt Parfaits
Many of the patients I see at The UltraWellness Center suffer from some degree of microbiome imbalance. Repopulating the gut flora while trying to keep inflammation low by removing food sensitivities such as dairy can be challenging. This recipe is a great addition if you are looking to add probiotic rich foods, prebiotic antioxidant rich polyphenols like pomegranate, flax and hazelnuts as well as the addition of grass-fed collagen peptides to help heal the fragile mucosal lining of the gut.
Recipe- Serves 4
- 1 14-ounce can full fat organic coconut cream
- 4 capsules probiotic (brands such as Klaire Labs)
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 8 Tbsp flax seeds (freshly ground)
- 40 raw hazelnuts (crushed if desired)
- 4 scoops collagen peptides (brands such as Vital Proteins and Great Lakes)
- Cinnamon *Optional
- Open coconut cream and pour ingredients (including liquid) into a large glass or metal bowl.
- Open probiotic capsules and empty into coconut cream, stir.
- Cover mixture with a towel or cheesecloth and allow to sit at room temperature for 24-48 hours. Yogurt will thicken.
- Portion off into 4 servings and store in fridge.
- Divide topping ingredients by 4 and top each of your servings evenly. Start by mixing in collagen powder (one scoop in each) then ¼ cup pomegranate on each yogurt, 2 Tbsp flax and 10 hazelnuts per parfait.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Enjoy!