Gut Healing Sweet Potato Soup
Fall is here and our team loves soup season! Sarah Canfield, a Nutritionist here at The UltraWellness Center, shares her recipe for Gut Healing Sweet Potato Soup.
Sweet potatoes are rich in antioxidants and a great source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- 5 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 tbsp grass fed ghee
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (optional for low-fodmap)
- 16 oz. grass-fed/organic bone broth
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk (from a can)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder (optional)
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes. Steam in a pot with 1″ of water for about 15 minutes or until tender (can also use instant pot and pressure cook 5-10 minutes). Drain the water. Set aside.
- In the same pot, heat ghee and garlic until fragrant.
- Add in sweet potatoes and all other ingredients and stir. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add mixture into a blender in batches and blend until creamy. Make sure to leave a crack in the lid for steam to escape.
- Serve with toppings of choice, such as fresh herbs like cilantro, hemp seeds and pumpkin seeds.