Support Your Mental Health During the Holiday Season
This time of year can bring added stress as you try to balance work, family time, and holiday preparations, especially if you are hosting a holiday at home!
Here are some helpful tips to manage stress:
- Take breaks. Give yourself time to slow down and reset. Gently stretch your body to relieve any tension. Practice meditation- even just 5 minutes can make a significant difference in reducing stress.
- Plan ahead. Set a gift budget and start shopping early instead of waiting until the last minute. Think about your holiday meal plan and make a list of ingredients you will need.
- Communicate your feelings. When you are feeling stressed, reach out to a family member, friend, or anyone with whom you feel comfortable. If you have a therapist, work together on creating a wellness plan to support your mental health during the busy holiday season.
- Move your body. Exercising can help beat stress, boost your mood, and promote better sleep. Look into gym memberships or do a workout program at home. If the weather is appropriate, take a walk and enjoy the fresh air.
- Keep a gratitude journal. Writing can be a powerful outlet for reducing anxiety. Did you meet up with a friend today and have a great conversation over coffee? Write about it in your journal. Is there a holiday tradition that you are looking forward to this year? Write about it in your journal. Take a moment to reflect on your day and consider 3 things that you are grateful for. You can incorporate this practice into your daily routine to help you stay focused on the positive aspects of your life.
Share these tips with your friends and family!