Top 5 Food Picks to Support Liver Detoxification
By The UWC Nutrition Team
Foods are your most powerful tool to protect and support the liver. There are 2 major phases of detoxification in the liver. In order to have effective detoxification, you want to eat foods that contain compounds that support both phases. Below is a list of some of the best, but there are many!
5. Artichoke– member of the milk thistle family which is long known to support liver function. Artichokes also have compounds that support production and flow of bile which is key to good liver function and elimination.
4. Garlic and all foods in the Allium genus of plants (leeks, onions, chives, etc) contain many compounds that support detoxification. They are high in sulfur which help to support sulfation, an important pathway the liver uses for detoxification.
3. Pomegranate– High in many compounds that protect the body from damage, one of which is ellagic acid which supports the second phase of liver detox, critical for proper toxin removal from the body.
2. Turmeric– Best known for its anti-inflammatory compounds, turmeric is rich in curcuminoids which are powerful antioxidants that protect the body during the detox process.
1. Broccoli, good old broccoli and all members of the brassica family (kale, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, etc) are rich in many compounds that aid liver detoxification. One of these important compounds is sulforaphane that boosts phase 2 of the process and again ensures proper removal of the toxin out of the body.