Our Exciting New Video Series: Getting to the Root
We’re so excited to announce a new project here at The UltraWellness Center. Our Getting to the Root Series will be bringing you in-depth discussions, on video, that dig into the topics our patients ask about most. We’ll review how we help patients heal, what kinds of tests are most useful for specific conditions, and which diet and lifestyle tips can provide the greatest benefit.
In our first episode, our very own Dr. Elizabeth Boham and her right hand Physician Assistant Kristin Boyt open up the conversation around thyroid health. This issue is extremely common and since we’re asked about it often, we thought it would be a great way to kick off this valuable new series.
Kristin and Dr. Boham work closely together on a day-to-day basis to provide patients with comprehensive functional care. In this episode, you’ll experience their partnership in helping patients work through thyroid disorders to rediscover what it means to feel good. Thyroid hormones impact every cell in the body, which in turn affects metabolism, fertility, sleep, digestion, and more. Throughout their talk, you’ll learn the warning signs of thyroid dysfunction, the best steps to take if you suspect a thyroid problem, and the different treatment options that are available.
Dr. Boham and Kristin explore the many sides of thyroid health, using real-life examples. You won’t be surprised to learn that they discuss a “food first” approach to balancing thyroid hormones, as well the different areas—from lifestyle choices like stress reduction to food sensitivities like gluten—that correspond to the autoimmune component so many patients struggle with. And because women are already so susceptible to hormonal imbalances, they talk about how thyroid imbalances and the symptoms of changing sex hormones can mimic or even mask each other and what to look for. Kristin shares some accessible and integrative treatment modalities that she’s found especially helpful for patients in this situation.
Dr. Boham was especially excited to highlight her work with Kristin in this episode.
Key points that Dr. Liz and Kristin discuss about thyroid health:
- TSH is not the full picture—we need to look at other hormones, like T3 and T4, and nutrient imbalances that can contribute to symptoms.
- Autoimmunity and what to look for in test results.
- Why a thyroid test should always be checked if fertility is an issue, and how thyroid hormones are involved in a healthy pregnancy.
- Reverse T3 and why it’s important to monitor.
- Iodine—it’s critical function in thyroid health, the delicate balance needed, and how to get more in your diet.
- Paying attention to selenium and how to get the right amount.
- Hormone conversion in the body and ways to naturally support T3.
- Medication options, the definition of “glandulars,” and why they may be a beneficial option.
- Gluten, the gut, and how they relate to an underactive thyroid.
We know you’ll appreciate the eye-opening information from this first episode of Getting to the Root, make sure to tune in!