Getting to the Root | Episode 3 | Supporting the Immune System
In our third episode of Getting to the Root, Dr. Elizabeth Boham and Physician Assistant Kristin Boyt explore how we can support the immune system. Cold and flu season is a great time of year to focus on immunity, but there are plenty of other reasons to make it a priority all year long, like autoimmunity, chronic infections, and even food sensitivities.
If you missed our previous episodes of Getting to the Root, this collection of short videos explores hot topics around health that our UltraWellness Center patients ask about the most. Since we see many patients at The UltraWellness Center with a wide variety of immune imbalances, we knew this would be a great topic for our third episode.
Throughout their talk, Dr. Boham and Kristin dig into the Functional Medicine perspective of immune health. There are so many steps we can take to be proactive about our immune system before symptoms occur and even address immune dysregulation that is part of a larger problem.
It’s not uncommon to see patients who are struggling with recurring infections. Many of them have tried lots of things or end up experiencing the same vicious cycle with things like sinus infections or other stubborn respiratory issues. Using the principles of Functional Medicine, we can discover the root cause of the problem and get them out of those difficult patterns and into better health. A detailed patient history that includes things like dietary choices, antibiotic use, and emotional stressors often leads to an “aha” moment of why changes in the immune system have happened, and most importantly what we can do to rebalance them.
Throughout this episode, Dr. Boham and Kristin discuss a wide range of immune topics, like:
- Food sensitivities and food allergies, their correlation to the immune system, and how to test for them.
- Dairy, mucous production, and immunity.
- Antibiotic use, how it impacts our good bacteria, and what that means for our second line of defense against infection.
- Heavy metal toxicity, including exposure from amalgam dental fillings, and toxic mold exposure.
- Nutrients and herbs that support the immune system, like vitamins A, D, zinc, and medicinal mushrooms, and how we can effectively consume them through food or supplements.
- Vitamin D testing and why it’s a good idea, even if you’re getting out in the sun.
- Lifestyle choices as a foundation for good immune health.
- And so much more…
This episode of Getting to the Root provides so many valuable tips that will help you take your immune system to a whole new level. We know you’ll love it, be sure to tune in!