Getting to the Root: A Functional Approach to ADHD
All of us know someone struggling with ADHD. This common disorder poses many challenges for the person affected, but the good news is that there are plenty of actions that can be taken to reduce symptoms, increase attention and focus, and support brain health.
On this episode of Getting to the Root, Dr. Elizabeth Boham talks with fellow UltraWellness Center physician Dr. George Papanicolaou about taking a Functional Medicine approach to ADHD.
This topic is near and dear to Dr. George’s heart, as he has overcome his own challenges with ADHD and enjoys helping patients do the same. He has worked with thousands of patients, providing relief from what can be a very isolating and emotionally charged diagnosis.
Throughout their talk, Dr. Boham and Dr. Papanicolaou take a clear look at treating ADHD using a variety of integrative methods.
Here are some of the fascinating topics they explore in this episode of Getting to the Root:
- Recognizing who needs help
- Providing a personal connection and understanding the emotional nature of the diagnosis
- Dialing in nutrition: Seeking nutrients to support brain health, identifying food sensitivities, and avoiding additives like food colorings
- Understanding the link between the gut and brain and what we can do to support healthy communication between them
- The 5Rs for healing the gut
- Genetics SNPs and toxins: what they mean for ADHD
- Using schedules and lists to be proactive and prevent distraction
- Why exercise and sleep are such important aspects of treating ADHD
- And so much more!
This episode is packed with information on how to approach ADHD from a place of compassion, education, and action. We hope you’ll tune in and learn about the hopeful functional options for tackling ADHD head on.