Getting to the Root: Taking the Overwhelm Out of Autoimmunity
Chances are, you know someone with autoimmunity or maybe even have it yourself. Rates are on the rise in epidemic proportions with a staggering 80% of autoimmune diseases occurring in women.
Since this is an issue we see often here at The UltraWellness Center, we thought it would be a great topic to tackle in this month’s episode of Getting to the Root, with Dr. Elizabeth Boham and PA Kristin Boyt. If you’re new to the series, each month we share a short video that explores hot topics around health that our patients ask about the most.
Autoimmunity exists in many different forms, more than 100, like type 1 diabetes, lupus, multiple sclerosis, thyroid conditions, and inflammatory bowel diseases. These types of diagnosis are overwhelming and often come with a slew of difficult symptoms. But today, we’re going to show you there is hope and healing for autoimmunity with a Functional Medicine approach.
In this episode of Getting to the Root, Dr. Boham and Kristin discuss:
- Testing for antibodies and preventing symptoms through early intervention.
- The autoimmune triad: how genetic predispositions, intestinal permeability, and triggers like food sensitivities all play a part.
- Why diet is so important and how gluten correlates to autoimmunity.
- The connection between gut health and autoimmunity and healing leaky gut.
- The role of the microbiome in treating autoimmune diseases.
- Taking an individualized approach to each patient.
- Testing oral bacteria with rheumatoid arthritis and other diseases.
- Why colorful foods rich in phytonutrients are so important.
- And so much more!
Autoimmunity can be scary but with a whole-body approach, there are many ways to lessen the severity and frequency of symptoms and create vibrant health. Check out this new episode of Getting to the Root to learn how.