Mason Jar Salad
When it comes to supporting hormone balance, especially during perimenopause, the foods we eat can make a big difference. Think of the cruciferous vegetables like watercress, broccoli, brussels sprouts, arugula, etc. These support detoxification and may help promote healthy estrogen levels in the body. Also, eating a balance of high-quality protein, anti-inflammatory fat, and high fiber carbohydrates together can balance blood sugar and keep you feeling satisfied for hours! That’s why I developed an easy and delicious mason jar salad recipe which is also super convenient and easy to take anywhere you go. Best of all, it only takes a few minutes to put together, and you can prep them days in advance!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup radishes, diced
- ¼ cup tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup artichoke hearts
- 4oz wild Alaskan salmon (canned) OR 4oz roasted chicken breast
- 1-2 cups watercress, arugula, and/or baby spinach
* Choose organic and wild-caught ingredients whenever possible.
- Get a large mason jar and start with the bottom layer – add the olive oil, vinegar, and sea salt.
- Layer veggies on the dressing- artichokes, radishes, and tomato.
- Top the veggies with canned salmon or roasted chicken breast.
- Finish it off with leafy greens (spinach, mixed greens, watercress, etc.).
- Close tight, refrigerate, and shake it all together right before you’re ready to serve. Eat straight from the jar or pour into a bowl/plate.
The sky is the limit with this recipe! Feel free to swap out or add to the above ingredients such as carrots, cucumbers, peppers, onion, olives, nuts, seeds, etc. Try different dressings such as pesto, Caesar, or tahini. And if you prefer a different protein, use ground turkey, beans, tempeh/tofu, chickpea pasta, or a combination. Most importantly, keep the lettuce separate from the dressing so that it doesn’t become soggy. Experiment until you find a combination that you love!